I have a good feeling about 2018. Instead of shriveling up like a lil’ prune everytime someone mentions the word “graduation” I now look forward to what life may bring. For college is merely a stepping stone towards a grander plan. Hoping that my future includes cheese boards, a summer villa in Italy, running a beauty empire, marrying the love of my life, and raising the next Scripps national spelling bee champions.
The path to success generally involves goal setting so let’s see what I can stick to this year.
- To find solace in my loneliness. To feel at ease in silence. While I’m young I want to take the time to understand who I truly am and what I want out of life. This is the year of watching movies alone, reading more, and not depending on someone else for my happiness.
- Be someone you would fall in love with. Be kinder, show appreciation often, hold the elevator door open and jump at opportunities to help others.
- Read a minimum of one book a week. Start a book club.
- Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you. The version of yourself where you feel at ease, laugh more and expect better from yourself. Let go of friends who do nothing but gossip, cause drama, and hold you back from your potential.
- To savor each moment for you never know what could happen. You know those moments where you are surrounded by those you love and can’t expect life to get any better? Take a step back and appreciate those moments. Slow down and savor your food rather than acting like a plane crash survivor who hasn’t seen a meal in weeks. Spend more time with your parents.
- BE FREAKING DECISIVE. For someone who runs a food blog I never know where I want to eat. I let other people make decisions for me constantly. I can’t remember the last time I made a decision and stuck with it. My life is a permanent “we can do whatever you want I don’t really care haha…..” Bitch! You care!
- Stop hiding your feelings. It’s time to be more confrontational. Long gone are the days where I physically run away from having to confront an awkward situation. You don’t need to add “lol” to the end of a serious text. If someone hurts you, let them know. If you’re secretly in love with someone.. let them know! Tis’ the season of expressing yourself regardless of what the outcome may be.
- I’ll have one bad interaction with someone and suddenly decide that I hate them. It’s about time I stopped being so quick to judge.
- To embrace change with open arms. The uncertainty is terrifying but things will continue to change whether you want them to or not. Time stops for no (I)man.
- The word “should” is harmful. You are not accepting reality when you use that word. Instead of telling myself I “should” be doing more of something, it’s time to focus on why I want to do that particular thing. Be kinder to yourself.
- Eat food that gives you the energy to conquer the day.
- Don’t let crushes ruin your mood in 2018. Let go of the fictional tales your mind continues to spin.
- Bold. Gutsy. Confident. Let these words be what is used to define you. Raise your hand. Jump outside of your comfort zone. The only thing holding you back is fear itself.
- You do not owe anyone anything. We were all born with an inherent worth that is self-defined. No accomplishment, dress size, job offer, the number of friends you have/boys that like you or beauty regimen will determine your worth. Remember that when you’re crying in the club.
- Live your best life.
2018 is the year of being at ease with myself. The year of letting go of cultural norms and finally being free. At the end of the day, remember that it is your life to live. You can not follow the traditional path if you want to live an extraordinary life. There is no time to be hard on yourself. Radiate positive energy and you will attract the life you desire.